Title Division

The Wayne County Clerk of Courts Title Division issues motor vehicle titles, mobile home titles, duplicate titles, and watercraft titles. The Wayne County location provides valuable services for a variety of title transactions. Preparing your documents ahead of time will assist us to more efficiently processing your transaction. Please use the following guidelines to determine the type of transaction and corresponding documentation required.

Residents may apply for a Certificate of Title, available below, in any county. A photo ID or driver's license is required for identification.

Certificate of Title - Vehicles

If an original title is lost, stolen or destroyed, you may obtain a duplicate Certificate of Title. Under most circumstances, you may apply for the duplicate in any county. All parties named on the original title must either be present or submit a notarized Power of Attorney Form at the time a duplicate is issued. If the original is recovered it must be returned to the Clerk of Courts Title Office for cancellation.

You must sign the notarized Power of Attorney form in person. This power of attorney is attached to our files as a permanent record. The forms are available at the Clerk of Courts title office.

A security agreement is required on all titles containing a lien. The security agreement consists of the loan papers signed by the borrower agreeing to make payments to the lender. A payment book is not an acceptable form of lien verification or lien satisfaction.

The white copy of the Memorandum Certificate of Title is issued only for the purpose of obtaining license plates when the original is held by the lienholder. This document cannot be used to transfer or issue a title.

Any vehicle transferred from out of state to an Ohio title must be physically inspected by an authorized new car dealer in Ohio or any deputy registrar. The customer pays the $2.75 inspection fee to the inspector and $1.50 at the Clerk of Courts Title office when the title is issued.

Example Scenarios for Vehicle Title Transactions are available below.

Certificate of Title - Mobile Homes & Trailers

The owner of a mobile home is required to obtain a Certificate of Title. All mobile home titles must have a conveyance fee stamp from County Auditor and tax approval stamp from the County Treasurer where the mobile home is located before transfer. The mobile home can then be transferred in the same manner as a motor vehicle. (The title may be issued in either the owner's county of residence or the county in which the mobile home resides.)

A Certificate of Title is not required for a trailer weighing 4,000 pounds or less. To obtain license plates, you must get a weight card from a license bureau and have the trailer weighed.

Self-assembled vehicles are vehicles assembled by a person, not at a manufacturing level. These vehicles do not have a title and they have been assembled using various parts or through fabrication. An inspection must be made by the State Highway Patrol. Receipts for all parts are required. There is a $50.00 fee for the inspection by the State Highway Patrol, phone (330)769-5089.

To convert a salvage title to a regular title, an inspection must be made by the State Highway Patrol. Receipts for all replacement parts are required. There is a $50.00 fee for the inspection by the State Highway Patrol, phone (330)769-5089.

If you change the character of your car so that it no longer is a complete car, you must surrender your Certificate of Title to the Clerk of Courts Title office for cancellation.

To convert a van to a motor home or after installation of a camping unit on your pick-up truck, you must record this "body change" with your Clerk of Courts Title office. Both original titles for the truck camper and pickup truck must be presented for this change.

Certificate of Title - Watercraft

Example Scenarios for Boat or Motor Title Transactions are available below.

Hours of Operation

Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m
Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until noon  (Wooster office only)